Thursday, January 18, 2007

We Are All In Sales

Many people do not like the word or the concept of sales. A man who used to successfully teach military recruiters during the Carter administration told me that sell comes from Selje, a Norwegian word for service. Real selling is serving the person to whom you are selling. Chew on that a while. Are you serving people?

You may need to sell someone on a concept or idea, even if your main income is not from getting people to buy products and services. I have even heard of a soldier in Vietnam who "sold" an enemy soldier on the "idea" of not killing him through his eyes. The last enemy soldier to leave his platoon's area after defeating most of them in a firefight decided to have compassion on him because he pleaded with him through his eyes. Though they spoke different languages, a truly big sale happened.

We all sell, it's just that some of us are afraid of or put off by a word.

You can click on the title of today's post and find a checklist to help be prepared for selling. justsell.com calls this being "salesready". Are you salesready?

1 comment:

The Oriental Express said...

Hi! Greetings from Singapore.

Enjoyed your blog. Am also a fellow toastmaster and will also be representing my inhouse club, Dennis Wee Group TMC in the area contest for international speech this 24th of March. My title is, "Life begins at 50!" Am confident of my prepared speech and hope I will do well in table topics as well thought I do not have sufficient practice as I only joined my company's club at the end of July last year. I have 2 more projects for Advance com. (Silver) and I hope to get my gold by end of June this year. I enjoy my work as a real estate agent very much. I always say that I am dealing with people's sweat and blood money! Huge responsibility as people put almost all their life savings in the property they live in and invest.

Cheers to sales and toastastering!
God bless!

Choo Choo